Fresh not Frozen
As we age, fine lines and wrinkles begin to appear on our face, giving away our age and affecting our overall appearance and self-esteem. Anti-wrinkle injections have become increasingly popular in recent years as a safe and effective way to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. In this blog, we will take a closer look at anti-wrinkle injections, what they are, how they work, the benefits and risks involved, how you can make the most of your anti-wrinkle injections and most importantly - how to remain fresh faced not frozen.
So what are Anti-Wrinkle Injection?
Anti-wrinkle injections, also known as Botulinum Toxin, are a non-surgical cosmetic procedure that works by temporarily relaxing a muscles movement. It is this movement of muscles that causes the skin to crinkle and crease - leading to lines and wrinkles. Anti wrinkle injections or Botulinum Toxin, is injected into specific muscles to stop or minimise movement, resulting in less wrinkling of the skin above. The injections contain a safe and effective dose of Botulinum Toxin, a naturally occurring protein produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This protein works by blocking the communication between nerve endings and muscles, causing the muscles to relax. The treatment takes up to 14 days to take full effect on the muscles, and can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, giving your face a more youthful and refreshed look for 3-4 months.
So what are the benefits of Anti Wrinkle injections?
Anti-wrinkle injections have become increasingly popular in recent years due to the numerous benefits they offer. Some of the benefits of anti-wrinkle injections include:
1. Cost effective non-surgical option and less invasive alternative to cosmetic surgery, making them a safer option;
2. Proven to be effective in reducing wrinkles and fine lines, giving you a more youthful appearance;
3. Quick and painless way to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines;
4. Anti wrinkle injections have been used since the late 1980s to improve lines and wrinkles;
5. There are hundreds of clinical studies on the safety of Botulinum toxin, making it one of the most widely studied and evidence based drugs used today;
6. Anti wrinkle injections can help with Depression. Multiple clinical studies show an improvement in depressive symptoms post treatment with Botulinum Toxin. This is believed to be due to the positive feedback in appearance. The old saying - 'When you look good, you feel good'. If you look in the mirror and feel unhappy with what you see, it will affect your mood. The happier you feel when you see your appearance, the brighter your mood will be and less depressive symptoms you will experience;
7. Less people will ask why you are cranky! Or sad. Anti wrinkle injections can improve those cranky signs, the furrows between the brows, meaning less people will ask "what's up with you?"
8. It's not as expensive as you think. Anti wrinkle injections every 3-4 months actually costs less that getting your nails or lashes done regularly. It's true!
9. Anti-wrinkle injections are used for a wide variety of medical conditions such as, bruxism (teeth grinding), migraines, excessive sweating, tight muscles - muscular dystrophy, vocal cords, bladder, pyloric sphincter, anal sphincter.
How to make the most of your treatment
To make the most of your anti-wrinkle injections, it is important to follow these tips:
1. Who performs your anti-wrinkle injections matters. It is important to choose a reputable health care professional who has experience and expertise in administering anti-wrinkle injections. Look for a clinician who has a good reputation and a track record of delivering safe and effective results. Don't choose your injector based on price. Anti-wrinkle injections are a medication and therefore must be prescribed like all other medications. In Australia, only AHPRA registered health care practitioners can perform anti-wrinkle injections. That means your injector must be an Enrolled Nurse, Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Doctor or Dentist. Don't be afraid to ask your injector about their experience, qualifications and trainings they have attended.
2. Be sure to communicate your goals with your injector, so they can tailor the treatment to meet your specific needs and expectations. Anti-wrinkle injection results can vary from soft subtle baby tox to fully frozen results. Its important you discuss your preferences during your consult so both you and your injector are on the same page. I always say, its easy to add more but we can't take it out if you are overly frozen.
3. Be sure to follow the post-treatment instructions provided by your injector, which will help to minimise any side effects and ensure optimal results. As with all medications, there is always the possibility of side effects and complications. These complications can be exacerbated by things you may do in the week post treatment.
So what are the side effects and complications of Anti-wrinkle injections?
Side effects -
Bruising - always a risk as we have hundreds of teeny tiny blood vessels under the skin - it's like a minefield. Really it is lucky if you DONT get a bruise. However, avoiding any herbal supplements and medications that thin the blood can help avoid bruises. Things like - Aspirin (unless prescribed), Ibuprofen or Neurofen, Alcohol, Fish or Krill oil, high dose Magnesium, and Tumeric.
Minor redness and local swelling (like a mozzie bite) - this will resolve within 15-20min for most people.
Headache - can occur after the first few treatments, often a heavy headachy feeling due to minimal movement after botulinum toxin.
Infections - avoid touching the area for several hours after treatment, makeup should be avoided as well.
Heavy brows - may be caused by too large a dose for your muscles or being placed too low, this can also occur if your muscles are weak or skin has significant laxity.
Double vision - extremely rare and due to incorrect placement of your inejctions
Ptosis (weakness or heaviness) of the eye brows or eyelid/s - can be caused by incorrect placement, too big a dose or diffusion of the drug into the adjacent muscles by direct or prolonged pressure.
Asymmetry of smile (lower face treatment only) - incorrect placement or diffusion of drug into adjacent muscles.
Flu like illness - very rare reaction to botulinum toxin
So what do I need to do after treatment?
Avoid Alcohol for 24hrs post treatment
Avoid rubbing/touching and make up to the injection site for at least 4 hours after the treatment
Avoid lying down for 4 hours post treatment to avoid the drug moving into adjacent muscles
Avoid strenuous exercise for 24hrs post treatment.
Avoid anything that puts prolonged pressure on the treated area for 4 days post treatment, face down massage, physio or chiro, swimming goggles and facial treatments.
So what does it all mean?
Anti-wrinkle injections are a safe and effective way to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. With the right provider, you can achieve a more youthful and refreshed look, without the need for cosmetic surgery. Anti-wrinkle injections can also help you feel happier. If you are considering anti-wrinkle injections, be sure to choose a reputable clinician and communicate your goals, so they can tailor the treatment to meet your specific needs and expectations.